Friday, November 5, 2010

Review: L'Oréal Extra-Intense vs Covergirl Liquiline Blast

Since notoriously-difficult-to-work-with liquid liner's gotten so much attention over the past couple of years, cosmetic companies have been trying to make our lives easier by delivering us more comfortable ways to administer this (not new) look.

Can I just take this moment to say that I love liquid liner?  Have I said that before?  Probably.  I just love how clean it looks - I like very sharp, stark lines so this liquid trend has been an absolute GODSEND for me.

That said, this whole liquid pencil liner thing intrigues me.  If you've ever tried to apply MAC's liquid liner in a moving vehicle, you'll know that a dry liquid liner is nothing to scoff at.

Our contenders for today?

Top: Covergirl Liquiline Blast in Black Fire
Bottom: L'Oréal Extra-Intense in Black



Personally, I like a very true black liner.  I think you can really tell when a black looks brown or gray - not that there's anything at all wrong with those colours, but if I wanted those colours I'd just go out and get them, no?  So here we go!

Top: Covergirl Liquiline Blast in Black Fire
Bottom: L'Oréal Extra-Intense in Black

In the above photo I've drawn each line just once - you can tell the L'Oréal has more pigment, whereas the Covergirl comes off a little gray.  Though if you were to go over the Covergirl and layer it, you would end up with the same saturation.

Top: Covergirl Liquiline Blast in Black Fire
Bottom: L'Oréal Extra-Intense in Black

After 30 seconds, I took my finger and smudged both lines from top to bottom.  You can see that both liners need a little more time to set, but the L'Oréal holds onto its colour a little better.  The Covergirl gives you more time to play with the line, but it gives up colour a little more easily.

Top: Covergirl Liquiline Blast in Black Fire
Bottom: L'Oréal Extra-Intense in Black
After 5 minutes I smudged the right end of both swatches again - I pressed pretty hard so you can still see some flaking.  Again, the L'Oréal smudged a little less than the Covergirl - on the upper line you can tell that even after drying, the Covergirl has lost some colour, whereas L'Oréal has only spread out the colour a little, but still has maintained its intensity.  At the end of the day, I had some colour transfer to my lower lashline from both pencils.  Can't have everything!

Both liners are pretty soft - softer than any non-liquid pencil I've used, but since I have to go over the Covergirl liner to get the same colour pay-off, the L'Oréal feels softer.  

One thing though - since these are both pencils, it's hard to get that razor-sharp cat-eye that I like with my liquid liner.  This is really a tool more for people who just want to line only their lids.  You'll need an actual  brush to get that flick at the end, unless you feel like lining then manipulating the shape with a cotton swab.

Verdict?  Both really great liners, but if I had to choose - L'Oréal Extra-Intense, hands down.

Happy Friday!


1 comment: