Monday, December 20, 2010

Procrastinating Philosophy - What Makes Someone Pretty?

Hey all!

So I've been in the boonies this week with my parents.  I won't lie to you, one of the best things about my mom coming home is that she brings me stuff.  I can't quite decide if I want to do hauls quite yet...should I be that kind of blogger?  Not sure.  What do you think?

Either way, I was make up-less (I hate carrying things when I'm in transit so I never bring anything that I can do without/suitably replace when I'm at home) and inspiration-less.  Then on my way back, I was looking at myself in the window - y'know, because I'm vain and all - and I noticed a little something from which I inferred the following:  the most esthetically pleasing part of your face is the part with the most detail.  Yay/Nay?

Hear me out.




So if you look at various models and what they're known for, or even just people and their most attractive features, it's the feature with the most detail.  I don't mean scarring or wrinkles or anything like that (although...occasionally some people are prettier with those signs of aging than without...hmmm), I mean details in the very structure of the face.

Asian people endlessly vIe for a crease in their lids.  You know why?  They don't.  They think it's prettier.  I mean, I kind of agree - if for no reason other than putting eyeshadow on a creased lid is like paint by numbers.  But it's prettier because there's more to look at; there's a detail that's missing from an uncreased eye.

We like full, curvy lips because there are more interesting lines to look at.  We like oval and heart-shaped faces because there are more planes and angles for our eyes to dissect.  We like big features (big eyes, a full lip, a high bridge on a nose) on small faces so there isn't a huge expanse of face for our eyes to skip over.  We simply pay more attention when there's more to look at - we look longer, and I think we all agree that the longer you look at something, the more you get used to it, and the familiarity breeds a sort of pleasing that we call "pretty".  It's also why people get more attractive when you like them - you hang out with them more and you get used to what they look like and it becomes part of your definition of normal.

That said, play up your curviest, line-iest feature.  If you got it, flaunt it!

PS:  If you've ever watched japanese anime, you'll notice that the nice, sweet girls always have curved eyes.  Big strong men/evil people have more angular eyes so they're less pretty and effeminate.  Goofy people just get thick black lines to represent their eyes.  Kind of cool, right?

2 comments:

  1. I dunno. This post sounds like the type of argument I would have posted on Myspace when I was in high school. I think you're trying to justify your own tastes logically, but not thinking at all about what other people consider "interesting." Many artists revel in white space, and a lack of detail in features could be very aesthetically pleasing to some even if it isn't to you.

    I personally like unique and interestingly shaped features, but I've also been told I "have a type" and my tastes are clearly not universal. Yours probably aren't either.

    ReplyDelete