Thursday, December 23, 2010

Review: Bare Minerals Matte Foundation

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Things I love:  Ideally, it's supposed to be make up that you can sleep in, being all natural and chemical-free and whatnot, which is super appealing for me since I'm a lazy bum and I fall asleep right away when I come home at night.  I also like that you can just build it up and use it as a concealer instead of buying a matching one.  And it photographs pretty well (i.e. it looks like skin, not paint.  I'm looking at you, CoverGirl foundation.  Grrrr.)

Things I'm unsure about:  It's really...yellow?  Maybe that's just the colour I'm using...and it seems cakey when I put it on.  I'm not using a proper kabuki brush, but I figure a densely packed powder brush should do about the same, shouldn't it?  Either way, it's just not applying evenly and it feels weird.  I also think it might look weird in fluorescent light.

Bare Escentuals bareMinerals SPF 15 Matte Foundation Fair

I'm thinking maybe it just feels weird putting it on, because I've been wearing it for about a month now and no one's told me skin looks weird...although would anyone actually be like "your foundation texture is off" to your face?  Probably not.  That said, I looked at some photos from times that I know I've worn it and it looks pretty good.

Verdict:  Not bad, but I could find something better for me.  I'm currently working on Korres Wild Rose foundation.  Talk to me in a month!

PS:  I actually tried this same product a few years ago (same thing happened, unfortunately) and the packaging has vastly improved.  They've changed it so that you twist the filter closed until you hear a rather satisfying click (which becomes less satisfying the more you use it, but still no product spillage!).

2 comments:

  1. I love this foundation. Do you apply it right after your moisturize? I find that it I have any bit of wetness on my face from either water or my moisturizer hasn't sunk in yet, this will apply cakey. Also, if you use to much it will apply cakey to. You only need a tiny bit worked into the bristles of the brush to buff on your skin. You can always build up the coverage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AmieeJoy I usually used the Prime Time primer over my moisturizer - maybe I didn't let it sit long enough. I've gotten better at using it now, but I do think that when I try and build too much coverage it gets cakey. What I end up doing is spritzing it with a little Caudalie Beauty Elixir to soften the look. Thanks for stopping by! xo

    ReplyDelete