Friday, February 25, 2011

Editorial drugstore? I think it's possible.


I used to really, really not believe in drugstore products.  I won't lie to you - to this day, I still quite subscribe to you get what you pay for.  However, I've been trying to be open-minded recently and I've been making my way into the world of drugstore cosmetics that are not mascara (something I try not to spend money on because the shelf life is so short).

To mark my way into the drugstore aisle, I've created an editorial look using exclusively drugstore products.  Does it hold up?






Kind of.  Drugstore make up can hold its own against department store when you attach "for the price" to everything.  It is the very definition of "good enough".  I enjoyed working with it, but little things kept bothering me.  For example, foundation isn't as smooth, eye shadows clump a little and lipstick is a little too shiny.  Expensive make up sets itself apart in the little things - the velvety finish of a foundation; the pigment and sheen of a high-quality eyeshadow, and the rich creaminess in a lipstick.  If you don't take make up too seriously, drugstore's a great choice, but when you compare them side by side, there is a tangible difference.


To get this look:
  1. Smooth Revlon Colorstay Foundation (in 150 Buff) all over the skin, blending down to your neck with your fingers.
  2. Use a Sonia Kashuk blending sponge to even out the finish.
  3. Sketch in brow shape with Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in 002 Hazel
  4. Fill in brow shape with Outer V colour from Maybelline Natural Smokes Quad
  5. Pack Brown Bone colour from Maybelline Natural Smokes Quad all over lid, into the inner corner and above brow to help define.
  6. Use Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner (wow that's a mouthful) to line crease with an EcoTools angle brush.  Bring the colour down to the outer corner of the eye and wing towards the end of the brow.  Then fill in the inner corner, dragging the colour along your inner lower lashline.  When you look in the mirror, the black colour should show in your crease and define it more.  If you can't see it, add on a little more colour above where your eyelid creases.  I had to set mine with more of the Outer V colour because it kept smudging onto my lids (as you can tell in the photo below), but if your lids aren't as greasy or folded as mine, you should be okay.
  7. Finish with Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Certainly Red.  Here I actually went over my natural lip line to create the illusion of a fuller lip.  It worked for the look I was going for (because I have a miniscule upper lip), but that's obviously optional.
  8. Add the tiniest touch of L'Oreal Extra-Volume Collagen Mascara in Black to the base of the lash.  No need for too much mascara with this look, just enough to define them.




Definitely not an everyday look, although I did wear this on the subway.  Not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment