Friday, March 4, 2011

Good Things...Small Barrels?

I'm not sure I should share this with you - are we close enough yet that I can tell you how disgusting my roommate and I are?

At our apartment building, people have this tendency to leave things they don't want in the lobby.  We've adopted various things before - water tumblers, a chaise and most recently....this.

The exchange went something like this:
Me: ...what is that?
Her: I found it downstairs!
Me: ...ew.  Really?
Her: I couldn't pass up a curling iron!  I figured if nothing else I'd bring it home and you'd pass judgment on it.
Me: Fair enough, here goes.  It appears to be a 3/4 inch curling iron with a metal barrel from Conair.  I no longer trust Conair things that are not Conair Infiniti since my first and only hideous experience.  But in the interest of burning hair smell, let's try it.



I couldn't help but recall the last time I saw such a tiny barrel.  I think the one I'm remembering is even smaller - a half inch? - but it was at my last visit to my hair guy.  He was just finishing curling an older woman's hair with this miniscule iron, and after a few minutes of conversation I realized that in exchange for the curling iron, she was getting her hair done for free.  Tiny curling irons now forever remind me of old lady hair, and everywhere I look my opinion is reinforced.

So here's my thought - if I use the tiny iron...does that make me old?  You decide.

The curling iron takes a lot longer to heat up than anything else I own - it's reminiscent of the older irons.  I also feel like it fries my hair a little, not unlike the Hot Tools iron I just bought.  However, I don't think it heats up as much, because I have to hold the iron on my hair a lot longer to get any staying curl.  At the end of the day, this was a fun lobby item, but I'm not even sure what model curling iron this is, so I can't really recommend it.  If you have excellently healthy hair and want miniscule corkscrew curls though - I'm sure your local drugstore or Wal-Mart will carry it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment