Friday, April 1, 2011

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow!

Happy April Fools, lovelies! 

I'm not going to play a trick on you, but here's a much-requested one!

I simply love having long hair to work with - especially when it's as healthy and shiny as Peruana's is!  You'll remember her from this post.  What I didn't mention in the previous post (nor can you see it in the photo) is her luscious HAIR!  She never touches it with any sort of blowdryer/curling iron/flat iron.  My friends with lovely hair all have something in common - they never abuse it.  Maybe I should stop...

Before: Hair in natural texture, with a little root-lifting spray
Step 1:  Spray in a root lifting spray - I used L'oreal Tecni Art Volume Architect Blowdry Lotion - and blowdry, lifting the sections as you go, or flipping your head upside down to let gravity do your work.


Step 2: Take 2 inch pieces of hair (less if you have shorter hair), and wrap them around a large barreled curling iron.  Again, take the length of your hair into account.  If you have relatively manageable hair, you can probably skip this step, but Peruana's was so clean and textured that it kept raising static.  One effective way to remedy this was to apply more direct heat.



Step 3:  I parted the hair diagonally across the back of her head, and started the fishtail braid at her crown.  I apologize for the lack of picture, but none of them came out quite as well as I'd hoped.  Maybe a video next time?  I started the braid so high because Peruana has pretty fine hair, and this was one way to boost the volume at her crown (in addition to teasing, of course!  I thought she'd kill me what with all the damage I was doing to her hair...).  

Basic Fishtail Braid -I don't know that I can make this sound as easy as it is, but here goes:

  1. Separate the body of hair into two sections - you should end up with two sections of hair, A and B
  2. From the back of the A, grab a smaller section of hair.  Take this section, and cross it over the rest of A and incorporate it with B.  As in, just hold onto it with the rest of the hair in your right hand.
  3. From the back of B, grab another equally tiny bundle of hair, and cross it over B to join forces with A.
  4. Continue until braid is as long as desired.
Notes:
  • The smaller the section you take, the more intricate the braid will look.  Smaller sections look like smaller "scales"
  • This will work both ways - in the above directions, I tell you to take a section from the back and cross it over the front.  You could juts as easily take a section from the front and cross it behind to get a reverse fishtail
  • It doesn't matter where you get the hair from, as long as it comes from the opposite section and can cross over the rest of the hair.
  • I love this look the most when someone can manage to turn it into a French fishtail.  Apply French braiding theory to the above diagram, and you'll see what I mean.  Post for another day!
Stay tuned for the rest of Peruana's look. Hint?  Masquerade!

2 comments: