Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Review: Urban Decay Naked vs Too Faced Natural Eye Palette


I've been playing with the UD Naked palette for a few days now and if you recall, my first impression was pretty good!  I debated for a long time between this and the Too Faced palette (a decision made for me by the shortage of UD Nakeds), and I figure now that I have both it's time for an opinion.



Let's break it down



Price: UD cut me about $58 CAD before taxes and TF sucked up $44 CAD before taxes.  Bear in mind that UD gives you 1.3 grams of 12 colours and TF gives you 2 grams of the 3 highlight colours and 0.9 grams of the others.

Note:  I think I like that all the colours are the same size in UD...it confuses me as to why they're all different in TF.  That said, you get more options with UD, but some mornings I feel almost overwhelmed with the possibilities.

Packaging:  The UD packaging is a lot sleeker.  Too Faced palettes always seemed unnecessarily chunky to me, like they're trying to trick me into thinking that I'm getting more for my money.  That said, UD's also a little awkwardly shaped, so you have to find a suitably sized bag to throw it in.  I'm also picturing the fabric-y case covered in eyeshadow debris, ruining its lovely maroon finish.  That doesn't really bother me, but I can see a lot of people obsessively dusting it off.

Colour: UD leans towards the warm end of the spectrum and its colours apply with an almost foil finish.  TF holds generally cooler colours packed with microglitter.  Outside of the glimmer forest, only two of the 12 UD shadows are matte - Naked, a taupe and Buck, a medium brown.  TF offers three matte shadows out of nine - Heaven, a cream highlight, Velvet Revolver, similar to UD Naked, and Sexpresso, a dark brown.

Pigmentation:  Close to no difference- both palettes wear and blend beautifully.  The particularly shimmery colours squish in that delicious way that lets you know how creamy and blendable the product is; from UD it's Half Baked, from TF it's Push-Up.  I'd say the only colour out of all of them that's not up to par is TF's Nude Beach, but otherwise, same pigmentation.

Similar colours:
UD Naked = TF Velvet Revolver
UD Sin = TF Silk Teddy
UD Half Baked = TF Honey Pot
UD Toasted = TF Push Up



The photo didn't turn out that well, but this was the best I could come up with.  They're much more similar than they appear in the shot, but I think is is a good representation of their warm/cool tones

One thing that edges UD out a tad for me is the brush and the black shadow.  The brush is much more useful than TF's, and I think it's important to have a black shadow on hand at all times.  That said, I haven't actually used the black shadow yet - I think this is one of those times that I'm like "Oh you always need a black shadow just in case you forget your liner!" but it's rather likely that if I've forgotten a liner, I've forgotten most of my make up.

At the end of the day, I'm glad I have both =) I want to say that I'll never need another neutral shadow again, but we all know that's a joke.

Final word:  UD Naked if you like options, TF Natural Eye if you like your routine quick and dirty.

3 comments:

  1. Great comparison! I'm also a little confused as to why there are different sized shadows in the TF palette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog! The blue nail polish I'm wearing is Slushie by OPI for Sephora... it was some special nail polish for a glee collection they came out with at sephora haha.

    Fashionable Collections

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this review. I've been using my Naked and I feel bad for neglecting my TF palette (I too bought the Too Faced for UD shortage reasons) - They really are both great for a lot of the same reasons. Cool to see someone review them, takes the guesswork out of it for me!

    ReplyDelete