Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I did something bad.

But I've found a way to justify it!

First, let me share with you the good news.  I've finished another product for Project X Pan!  I think that brings me up to 7 and 2/3.  Or something.  I'll go back and check.


This SuperNail polish remover came from a salon, and is quite possibly the best remover I've tried.  It's industrial-strength or something because I don't usually have to struggle to get colours off. Serious glitter polishes I still have to use this method, but if they're a lesser glitter, I can usually get away with just holding the cotton on my fingers for a moment.

And to celebrate... I bought three lipsticks.

Okay, if you knew me better, you'd know that I never wear lipstick.  I mean, I have about four of them...and I never wear them.  What usually happens is the first few days after purchasing I'll use it non-stop, then my mother will say something about how hideous the colour is, and I end up only using them for looks.  C'est la vie.

But I absolutely had to say something about these.




These CoverGirl LipPerfection lipsticks are AMAZING. I've said it. They are.

First of all, I cannot get over the texture.  I'm simply unable.  I keep reapplying these just to be like, "ZOMG -- four coats later and it still doesn't start feeling dry or clumpy.  SUCCESS!"  My problem with lipsticks -- and I mean all lipsticks, considering thus far I've only owned MAC or NARS ones -- is that they feel dry and gross.  I know that's partially my fault because I only like matte colours, but is it so much to ask for the bullet not to tug at your lip?  These glide on like butter (and when I compare something to butter...you know it's on) and I would go so far as to say it feels not unlike Tom Ford's lipstick.  Just putting that out there (contemplating editing that out because there may be scary blog police who will flog me for even trying to compare the two).

The packaging is so sleek, it's hard to believe it's drugstore. One gripe -- if they'd just made the entire tube out of the same reflective taupe material, it would look infinitely more high-end, but drugstore products always have a tendency to screw up like that.  Does anyone else think that?  H&M had a phase wherein they used to place a hideous seam on their shirts right above where your chesticles were supposed to go.  I'm not sure what that was for other than to make them look uber-saggy -- all I know is that it probably cost them more to do that and I was like, WHYYYYYY.

Rant over.  Back to beauty.

There are a few standout colours here that are reminiscent of a department store line.  My problem with drugstore lipstick is that it looks so shimmery in the tube and often comes out glitter-packed, but I've been finding lately that drugstore's getting much better at the colour selection.  I took home Tempt, Delight and Divine.  These colours feel almost sheer because they go on so smoothly, but they actually pack quite a punch of pigment.  Delight is the most sheer and I wouldn't really class this a sheer.  And speaking of pigment, I fell asleep with Divine on and it had become slightly patchy, but most of the colour was still there and was hell to get off, i.e. pigmented to the nth degree.

Tempt, Divine, Delight with flash

Tempt, Divine, Delight without flash
I purchased mine for $8 on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart, but I think they retail for $11 or something.  Not sure.

Tempt is that perfect cool, blue-red I'm always looking for.  Tod can pull off much warmer colours than I can, so she bought Hot.  Hot is a really orange-pink-based red that I think Drew Barrymore is wearing in the ad.  I love this colour, but it makes my skin look really dirty for some reason, as though I've been washed out by fluorescent lights and tried to cover it up with muddy bronzer.  I need the blue in my red to make red work.

Delight is a colour I would never purchase.  I still feel this way after having purchased it.  It's a coral-pink that I don't have in my collection because... I hate coral.  I just do.  It feels so 80s, so ... I don't know.  And it just doesn't work on my skin.  I thought I should get one though, because if it's done right, it's really beautiful on some people and if I find a model who looks good in it, I'll be sure to do a look!

Divine is possibly my favourite; at any rate, it's the most me-colour.  Actually, not true, I picked up spellbound first, but that wasn't blue enough for my liking.  That is, if you have cooler skin, you can probably use Spellbound, but if you need something to help counteract all the yellow in your skin, go for Divine.


All in all - LOVE.  I wouldn't say I've been wearing these every day, but solidly...once in a while!  That's a huge deal for me, lipstick-wise.


Wow, that was a lot longer than I meant it to be.

4 comments:

  1. can't wait to see you use them!!

    xo Jackie
    http://livingaftermidnite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are SO the same person, my blogger friend! i, too, rarely wear lipsticks but now am SOLD after reading your post and want to try these out! also, i failed miserably at my project x pan so do not feel ashamed because you deserved a nice little spending day!

    oh, update on the kiehl's toner...LOVE. reviewing soon with more details, but i remember you wanting to know so there you have it : SS approved! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way about lipstick, I own it, I love the way it looks in my makeup tray, but I rarely, if ever, wear it. Bummer.

    http://roxxybelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Divine! That totally looks like a color I would wear. Too bad I'm not in the market fora lipstick right now... I need to use up what I have before I start adding to the collection.

    http://www.stylish3.com/marylane

    ReplyDelete