Friday, August 12, 2011

Let's get something straight.

Warning: This is the rant-iest thing I've posted in a while, so bear with me and read at your own risk.

Pallet
Palat
Palate
Palette
Pallit
Palit
Palete

When describing the following items, which spelling is correct?

BH Cosmetics 88 Color Tropical Matte Eyeshadow PaletteUrban Decay Naked PaletteBobbi Brown - Pretty PaletteZ Palette Customizable Makeup Palette, Zebra 1 ea

To find the answer, don't click on the picture below.



I know I'm a grammar fiend, but really??  The number of times I see the word palette (bolded, italicized AND underlined for emphasis) misspelled is really embarrassing for everyone involved.  More often than not it's by beauty girls who use them every single day!

Then came the straw that broke the proverbial camel's back.  Someone raved about IT Cosmetics' brow pencil (I'm so distraught I can't even remember which worthy blogger reviewed the brow marker but I can assure you it's someone who can spell palette properly) and within one (1!) click of their site, I came across the above screenshot.  I could not hold my silence any longer.

Really, beauty blogosphere -- I know you all spend as much time on MakeUpAlley, Sephora, MAC, and Bobbi Brown as I do.  I also know that the vast majority of you can name all the MAC eyeshadow and lipstick names upon seeing a swatch.  That said, I refuse to believe that you all believe that palette is spelled differently than it is.  


There must be some sort of conspiracy I don't know about.


Why am I always the last to know?

9 comments:

  1. LOL Oh dear- am mental noting this, would hate to be the one to tip you over the edge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that on my NYX glitter cream palette, they used "pallet..." part of its name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaaha omg this is hilarious!!!! I'm going to have to go back and check all of my posts to see if I spelled it right!!!

    xo Jackie
    http://livingaftermidnite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you say tomato and i say spell shit right. then again, i'm an english teacher, so i've seen far worse than beauty bloggers spelling makeup items wrong. then again, it's sort of like not knowing how to spell your middle name...it's just ludicrous.

    boy do i love a good rant! thanks for posting one for all of our reading pleasure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I always always spell check my blog posts before posting it because misspelled words is just embarrassing when spell check is a feature RIGHT on you computer/blog/internet/everywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahaha, honest mistake i guess. lol.

    love, rach.
    www.so--hi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. @eLLah you have NO idea how much that upsets me LOL. I checked NYX out on Hautelook today and they still haven't corrected it! I think that factor alone made me not want to buy anything hahaha.

    @Superficial Sanctuary LOL I would be the meanest English teacher ever. I used to edit essays for people in high school and I think the stress from it aged me about 10 years.

    @Pop Champagne I think there'll always be typos and things, but it's appalling how consistently this word is spelled wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha it bothers me just as much! I had no idea anyone else noticed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I relish a good rant. Thanks for posting this... I don't know why people have such a hard time spelling such a simple word!

    http://www.stylish3.com/marylane

    ReplyDelete