Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Back to School: What to Wear?

For most of my life, I've been in a uniform.  Yes, including the kilt, the tie and the blazer.  Not to mention the boy's oxfords my mom made me wear because girl shoes were too narrow to go around my frog feet and orthotics.  I was that kid.

Every once in a while we'd have these things -- civvies days?  Anyone else have those? Essentially, you pay a dollar (this was back in 1995 -- I'm sure with inflation it's closer to $5 now) to wear normal clothes for a day.  I went to such a strict school that we weren't even allowed to wear jeans on civvies days because they were sloppy.  We got one day a year where you had to pay five (5!) dollars to wear them.  They told us the money went to charity.  I could have cared less, I just wanted to not wear knee socks or tights for a SINGLE day.

This highly uniformed regimen resulted in me having close to no normal clothes. Since I only wore casual clothes on the weekends, I took every single opportunity to dress up.  I would wear my funkiest (yes, I'm a child of the 90s) jeans with my cutest tops and have a ball putting outfits together.

Now here lies the problem: When I came to university, I didn't buy new clothes.  I also thought it would be awesome to be able to pick outfits every single morning.  I was an idiot on both counts.

Picking my outfits got old really fast.  Why?  I didn't want to wake up that early.  It's different in the summer -- you wake up whenever you want and have time to leisurely ponder ripped jeans vs khaki capris.  Not so in college.  Not to mention, since my clothes were so unique, people could identify them immediately.  Oh hey, didn't you wear those purple zebra-print jeans yesterday?  Ew...don't you change your clothes?  Yeah. That was the kind of thing I'm sure went through people's heads.

Finally I buckled down and bought a pair of plain blue jeans and three solid coloured long-sleeved t-shirts and lived in them religiously.  It's been a few years since then and I'm sad to say not much has changed.  Here are my back to school style items...try not to be too overwhelmed with the immense creativity.

I never said I was original.
Okay, so as you can tell...I've made myself a new uniform.  It essentially consists of basic tanks and tees, with skinny bottoms and constantly rotating outerwear.  You know, that's not even true -- I end up wearing the same jacket all season when it's cold enough, but I figure you can't go wrong with a cardigan, a blazer, a leather bomber and a trench.  I also usually end up wearing the cardigan under the other three.  Just in case.

I usually buy two scarves:  a gauzy, light one in a bright print and a heavier, cozier one in a solid earth tone usually.  I'm not sure why, it's just what I do.  In the winter, muted becomes my bright.

As for school shoes, I always go for boots.  I'll get a flat (because they're convenient and not awful if they're properly broken in), but they're really only for super hot days and there aren't that many of those.

I know.  It's beyond creative and exciting.  Don't say I didn't warn you.

4 comments:

  1. PP, you go girl! I love basics, they look so put together and are easy to add a pop of something extra with a jacket or scarf.

    I personally liked to plan my outfits in my head before school days. I do it even now as a teacher. HATE the days when the outfit in mind played out horribly in person, though! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the boots, love the trench, love the blazer! All fab with skinnies you sass-pot student you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the trench and the leather jacket. All great, classic pieces.

    ReplyDelete