Monday, November 14, 2011

Butter

Tod and I were raving about Scarpetta's tomato and basil pasta (so simple but SO GOOD) and when I read to her that the last step in the recipe is to add a tablespoon of butter, she gave me a weird look.

"You add butter??"

I get that all the time.

People have such butter complexes.




Butter is the single most aromatic thing you can add to anything.  A spoonful will completely change your pasta, your oatmeal, your corn and your life.  All that chatter about dairy fat and cholestrol -- put that away.  There is no place for such heresy in this house of indulgence and procrastination.

Do you know why restaurants can charge you eight times as much for something you can prepare yourself?  It's because they've taken the time to add a pat of something that should be readily available in your house.  When you walk into a restaurant or a patisserie, inhale and go, "...What smells so good?"  It's butter.

You know this feeling.  It is the warm, savoury scent that arises when you step into your grandmother's house.  The pale gold colour that reminds you of lazy Sunday mornings.  That rich, dulcet flavour that rests on the line between salty and oh-so-sweet.  Whipped, softened, melted.  That adjective people use when they want to describe something absolutely luxurious and decadent.

Live it.
Eat it.

5 comments:

  1. I can't stand butter on pasta. Or plain bread. Toast, pancakes, waffles, corn and potatoes are all fair game though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm butter is totes something I could add to everything, within reason...it's not like I'm adding it to my Oreos or something, I'm not THAT creepy.

    That pasta sounds amazing just by the name. I will now be eating pasta tonight with SSB, it must be done. When someone mentions pasta, little can be done to make me NOT want pasta afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like butter! Have never put it on pasta though :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. cna i just say this post made me smile!! ohh butter! best friend, worst enemy to my hips! love it!!

    glitteringly and positively,
    raeshelle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. EXACTLY. Why do steaks taste so delicious in restaurants? Because they "finish" them with a pat of butter right before they serve them. YUM.

    I knew a girl in elementary school who would eat a stick of butter as a snack, popsicle style, pulling back the wax paper as she went (no joke). Needless to say, it didn't work out so well for her...

    ReplyDelete