Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Victoria's Secret -- Christmas is OFFICIALLY here!

Is it weird that I associate the VS runway show with the beginning of the holiday season?  I remember at high school people would curl up in the common room to watch it, only to feel bad about themselves afterwards and start doing Pilates in the hallways.  Ah, memories.

About a week ago I enlisted the help a beautiful new girl to help me recreate this year's runway look.  Unfortunately, by the time we got to makeup, the sun had set and the video is suuuuuper dark/oddly yellow-looking.  Howeeeever, I did manage to get a few hundred photos, so we'll take it from here!



 After reading about a million different interviews with Tom Pecheux, I've picked out the most consistent pattern.  I hate when in one interview, they claim to use all VS products, and in another he's obviously like, "Psht, I'm using real foundation."  As a result, I'm not using any of the same products that he claimed to use.


  1. Prep -- Start off with cleansed, moisturized skin.  I applied a layer of La Roche Posay Nutritic to her face and C.O. Bigelow's Soothing Lip Buffer to her lips.  After a few minutes, I soaked up any excess Nutritic with a tissue and left the lip exfoliant on.
  2. Base -- I had to mix Deem's colour from a bunch of foundations I had, but go for your regular foundation and concealer.  If you have extremely dry but smooth skin, don't be afraid to mix a little illuminator in there for extra dewiness!
  3. Set -- Tom Pecheux eschewed "heavy" make up this year, so he used a technique where he mixed all the powders together -- I used E.L.F. HD powder to set her make up on her forehead, nose and chin.  Since we're going to do a lot of work on the cheeks, don't powder them just yet.
  4. Cheeks -- this was a three-step system.
    Contour:  I mixed the HD powder with Benefit Hoola so I could get the silky finish as well as the colour.  I used an EcoTools powder brush to contour under the cheekbones, around the temple and a little on the nose and chin for an all-over glow.
    Blush: I used a mixture of Benefit Dallas and Benefit Hoola to start building the gradient towards the cheekbone.  I mixed Benefit Dallas and TheBalm Hot Mama and applied to the very top of her cheekbone to start introducing a little shimmer.
    Highlight: Since the Victoria's Secret girls are famous for their bronze-y gold shimmer, I didn't want to use a pink or white-based shimmer like Benefit High Beam or Mary Lou-manizer from TheBalm.  I ended up mixing Mary Lou-manizer with a little MAC Gold Nude (LE) pigment to get the right colour.
  5. Eyes -- There was almost no shadow on the eyes this year, so I used the same mix of Gold Nude and Mary Lou to highlight the centre of the lid.  I tightlined the upper lash line with a Styli-Style pencil and used the Lancome Artliner for a clean, precise wing.  Deem already had amazing lashes, so I just used two coats of waterproof Great Lash after curling with a Shu Uemura curler -- waterproof formulas hold curl better!
  6. Lips -- After removing the buffer, I was left with a plump, soft lip to work with.  If you want, you can use a lip plumper or perfector to encourage that va-va-voom pout, but I didn't bother.  I realized I don't have a nude lipstick that works for her so I mixed Viva Glam Gaga I and NARS Morocco to get a nude-y pink base, and topped it with Revlon Nude Lustre for a high-gloss finish.



That was shockingly exhausting to write.  I'm not sure why.  VS hair tutorial tomorrow?  Maaaaaybe.

4 comments:

  1. i totally associate the vs show with the holidays!!! love this look she looks gorgeous!

    xo Jackie
    ...livingaftermidnite
    SHOP mark. Fashion & Beauty this Holiday Season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks gorgeous! You know, I've NEVER watched the VS fashion show. I don't know why, but I've just never been very interested in it.. maybe because last time I tried to watch it it seemed like it had been produced by MTV - super slick, lots of loud pop music, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The makeup is gorgeous! I also associate the VS show a little bit with Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY CHEEKBONES! Youve done wonders with her blush, love!

    ReplyDelete