Sunday, December 18, 2011

My DIY Exfoliant

About my skin:  I'm normal-oily combination, extremely sensitive to things like sleeping in my make up, not drinking water and late nights.

I like masks to: make my skin feel smooth, soft, hydrated and clean.

Some masks I like:  Boscia Luminizer, Neutrogena Hydrating Facial Cloth (left on overnight, it's AMAZING), Indian Healing Clay.

I've recently been dabbling in a little DIY so I've played around with a bunch of ingredients.  I mostly want something that's not too perishable, something that wouldn't take forever and something that worked.  I like this because I already eat all these things.  I'm not really one to buy an avocado just so I can use it on my face. Although...I do love avocados.  I should get them more.

The great thing about DIY skincare is that you can customize it to your liking.  If it's too harsh or won't stay on or takes too long to dry, you can fix those things by adjusting (respectively, less rice, more honey, more dry ingredients).  That said, I give amounts in the following recipe, but feel free to add/subtract/adjust/forgo any part of it you like!

My credentials?  Trial and error.  Let's begin.

My dry ingredients in an old salt shaker.
The yellowish tint comes from tumeric.
More on that in a future post.

Things you'll need:
  • Container and mixing apparatus.  I prefer a spoon.  I wouldn't use a foundation brush for this.
  • Rice (uncooked). I hear (from my mother) it's great for brightening your skin, but this is my main exfoliating ingredient.
  • Oatmeal (any kind, I use large flake quick oats). Great for calming your skin.  Did you take oatmeal baths when you had the chicken pox? I did.
  • Honey: the antibacterial properties are great for acne sufferers like me! Also makes for a great moisturizer
  • Yogurt:  See here.

How to get there:
  1. I use a coffee grinder to grind up my rice and oatmeal separately -- I make mason jars of these at a time so I can just grab them whenever I want/my coffee grinder is a PITA to clean.  I don't think they'll go bad as long as no moisture gets inside.  Tupperware also works.
  2. Decide on the level of exfoliation you want.  If I want a major deep-clean scrubbing, I'll add more rice, but if I want something softer and more soothing, I'll up the oatmeal.  My skin's quite tough and I generally use 1 tsp of rice for every 3 tsp of oatmeal.
  3. Add 2 tsp of honey (more if you feel your mixture is too dry)
  4. Add 2 tsp of yogurt (or enough to make the consistency something other than lumpy-sticky)
  5. Smooth over your face and leave until it dries.  Takes me about 20 minutes.
  6. Splash your face with water to loosen the mask and wash it off by massaging your face in circular motions.  The grains will smooth away and dead skin cells.
  7. Finish with a toner and moisturizer.

    Why does mine look a little yellow tinted?  I added tumeric.  More on that later.
Things that need saying:  Please don't use anything in here if you're allergic to them.  In fact, to be really safe, test a patch on an inconspicuous portion of your body before slathering it on your face.  Don't sue me.

7 comments:

  1. I just recently did the nutmeg, cinnamon, and honey mask and love it so much, but NOT a fan of how it kind of "slops" (not a word really) on my face onto my neck and chest if I'm not lying down flat. Girl problems, psh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh clever- wayyyyy too much effort for me but sounds cool. Question - does the tumeric stain, after a holiday in Bali where they drink Tuneric juice with lemon and other stuffs as an elixr I bought some and I had some MAJOR stained hands and blender after that adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Me, my best and I OMG. Stains like nothing else. I'm going to talk about it soon, but the only thing is...dilute it a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm way too lazy for this kind of thing, but i like it in theory. Also, I'm notoriously messy with food products, so I feel like i'd wind up with honey drizzled all over my house, haha.

    ReplyDelete