Wednesday, February 1, 2012

MUFE Aqua Cream vs Maybelline Colour Tattoo

I've been lusting after these products for SO long, but it's taken me forever to get around to getting both.  I picked up Make Up For Ever's Aqua Cream in #15 in December after a spontaneous Sephora trip.  It took me a long time to decide whether or not to get it, but after pretending for a few days that I might not get it, I just bit the bullet.

I was similarly coy with these Colour Tattoos -- I remember seeing them in Shopper's Drug Mart and being intrigued, but the tester was unimpressive.  I dismissed them until a few bloggers swatched them and Pomegranate Punk called my name.

Yesterday, I finally hauled myself to Wal-Mart to get it and I'm so glad I did!  I think this happens to be one of the better colours in the line; sometimes certain colours don't lend well to this solid/creamy texture.  Next trip I think I'll get are the orange one (Fierce and Tangy) and the taupe one (Tough as Taupe).

My only issue with getting Tough as Taupe is that I'm afraid it'll be really close to the MUFE Aqua Cream I have.  #15 falls somewhere between brown, silver and...taupe.  Don't judge me.

Instead of doing a full review, I figured I would settle the age-old debate: Drugstore vs. Department!

To even the playing ground, I do believe I've chosen the one of the best (if not the best) colours from each line -- we're going head to head here, folks.  I've also included a few close-up shots of Pomegranate Punk so you can see the different colour sparkles.






Top: Pomegranate Punk blended
Bottom: Pomegranate Punk heavy swatch 
Top to Bottom:
Pomegranate Punk blended
Pomegranate Punk heavy
MUFE #15 blended
MUFE #15 heavy

I'm not sure why this one rebelled and rotated itself.

As you can tell, the difference (as it often does) lies within the texture.  If you look at the last photo, when I blended out the MUFE #15 the colour travelled with my fingers.  With Pomegranate Punk, the sparkles smudged out, but the colour had sort of stained itself into my skin and didn't budge.  The way to get around this is to apply colour wherever you want it and quickly blend out any edges.  It would be really hard to get a gradient with this, but the colour is soft enough that it's not the biggest problem.  For $7 as opposed to MUFE's $24, it's worth checking out.

Verdict: I recommend this colour, but I can't speak for the others. Doesn't quite match up to its specialty brand counterpart, but it solidly stands on its own two feet.

5 comments:

  1. I was super impressed with the Color Tattoo! I have the taupe color and I definitely plan on getting a few more!

    xo Jackie
    ...livingaftermidnite

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new Maybelline Color Tattoos. I want that Pomegranate Punk color. I tagged you on my blog by the way. Go check it out! http://pinkpurse21.blogspot.com/2012/02/tag-11-questions.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. $7 is worth checking out! Thank u for the comparisons! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels awesome to read such informative and unique articles on your websites.
    tattoo anesthetic cream

    ReplyDelete