Thursday, March 15, 2012

My Skincare: Cleansers

Tod and I currently have about six cleansers going simultaneously, and since we're nearing the end of a few, I figured it was time for a skincare routine!  But not just a routine -- a skincare series.  Cleansers, exfoliators, moisturizers, masks, I'm doing it all.

My skin is typically Asian -- greasy and quick to hyperpigment.  Learning to deal with grease took a long time.  I was firmly set in the school of thought that believed in oil-free everything, harsh, foaming cleansers, no moisturizer -- salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide were my faithful sidekicks.  Cut to about two years ago when a friend of mine let me in that the only product she uses is Nivea Soft.  Behold, this is the only girl I've ever known who doesn't use anything.  Except Nivea Soft.  Needless to say, I put down $6 and drowned myself in it.

Moral of the story?  I no longer torture my skin with harsh exfoliators, cleansers or my twice-a-day-Clarisonic ritual.  Instead, I've adopted something a little gentler and my skin's texture has improved more than with any miracle product.


In the rare occasions that I put makeup on, you know I go all out -- base, concealer, powder, the whole nine.  When I get home at the end of the night, I cleanse with Shu Uemura cleansing oil.  I find it really breaks down all the pigment and helps the product slide off my face.  I've tried leaving it just at that, but it didn't cleanse thoroughly enough and I was left with a bunch of millia around the corners of my eyes, nose and mouth.

I'll usually follow with a foaming cleanser -- for the past two years it's been Lancome Creme Radiance.  I used to use this one that came in powder form from FANCL, but I can't be bothered to order it online.  When I use a foaming cleanser, I prefer to create the lather in my hands and just apply the foam to my face.  I know some people raise  the lather directly on their forehead and cheeks, but I find that way too harsh, even for my skin.

In the morning and for days that I don't wear anything except sunscreen, I use a lighter cleanser like Clinique's Extra-Mild or Vichy's 3-in-1 Cleansing Milk.  I'm not particularly attached to either the way I can't let go of Lancome's Creme Radiance, but both have been really great for my skin -- kind of like they've added moisture back in.

Of course, on days I'm just too lazy to do anything or too tired to make it to the bathroom, my trusty Bioderma Crealine is my attempt at facial hygiene.  We all have those days.

7 comments:

  1. I have been a fan of cleansing milks lately. I have been using a Yes To one for makeup removal and if I didn't use a cleanser after, I probably wouldn't like it as much, but I like using something milky for makeup removal...just because I'm convinced (for no reason) that they work best.

    This post was helpful...maybe I'll step out of my milk and into an emulsion. That sounded weird.

    YOU get a mini shoutout today sooo you should go check that out in SS world ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG blogtwin -- I have been on the hunt for a cleansing milk. I can feel myself leaning towards 5 different ones right now, I'm so undecisive!

      Delete
  2. Great routine. I too have a seperate cleanser to get make up off...other wise I use C&c's facial cleanser.. they do pretty well on a random day..
    Hey,I tagged you in this 11 Question post.Have a look
    http://wemakeupblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-am-tagged-n-i-am-glad-11-facts-about.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tagging me! That was fun :) I like answering questions

      Delete
    2. Thanks for answering them there n then .. actually one is supposed to do a post .."RULES" you know..but still it was lovely getting to know these things ..:)

      Delete
  3. Where on earth did you find that big bottle of Bioderma for $30? I found the same one in Canada years ago, but now I only find small $22 ones, and the shopgirls insist they never had the larger size for that price - thanks to you I now have photographic evidence:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. run, don't walk, to the Shoppers Drug Mart on College and Yonge! I found mine at a Rexall in the PATH, but I was at that particular SDM location two days ago and I saw that they had them. Good luck!

      Delete