Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Sonia Kashuk Flat Top

A couple months ago I hunted down like a bloodhound got the Sonia Kashuk Synthetic Flat Blusher Brush.
This brush retails for $14.99 or so I got mine at a Target in Boston.  Canadians, don't bother with Buffalo, they are perpetually sold out.




It's an extremely dense, synthetic flat-top.  Dense as in...Eco-Tools bronzer brush dense, but it's a flat surface.  This is designed to pick up a bucketload of product and dispense it thickly onto your face.  You can sheer out the finish by buffing, but it might take a while if you have a particularly large face (as I do).   It's best with liquids or creams, but if you wanted a super heavy dose of powder, it'd be great for that too.  I love this flat-top thing brushes have going now; it's so much easier to get around any corners in your face.  Since I find this takes too long to put foundation on, I've been using it for my Tarte Green Siren cheek stain.  This is by far the best brush I've ever used to put this on -- the colour's quite sheer so this brush is a godsend for packing on the pigment.


One gripe: the handle.  I know people adore it, and it is really cool-looking, but there's a drawback.  See that ergonomic little narrow bit just below the ferrule?  That's the grown-up, brush version of a pencil grip (I hated those.  I will hold my pencil however I damn well want to).  Problem is, it's way too high up and close to the brush head, and you end up with foundation cake face. If only they'd moved the grip down about a half inch, your application would be a million times lighter and more natural.  Obviously you can just hold the brush wherever you want, but my fingers always slide towards the grip anyway.

That's just my two cents!  What are yours?  I'd love another flat top brush so I'm taking recommendations!

1 comment: