Thursday, July 12, 2012

How I use the MAC 187

As the most noob blogger in the world, I wrote my past 187 'review' the day after I got it.  n00b.

I got it because I'd read an insane number of MakeupAlley reviews about how airbrushed it would leave my skin looking.  At the time, I had a major acne situation going on, so anything even remotely describd as "flawless" or "airbrushed" or "full coverage" sounded immensely appealing.  That's also how I discovered my MUFE HD foundation, but that's a story for another day.

After having had it for a little over a year, I've found out that I use it for everything but foundation. With liquid and cream foundation, it leaves a streaky mess.  Other people seem to have this magic ability to use the white hairs for dabbing on their foundation and the black hairs buff it in to airbrush-y perfection, but...my white hairs streak up anything the black hairs do.  How are people retracting the white bristles???



  1. Bronzer:  Recently I've been using Calvin Klein Foundation in a much darker colour as my bronzer -- I got this when I was lemming Chanel's Soleil de Tan but it was sold out at my regular counter and I was too lazy to inquire at another one.  The 187 picks up just enough pigment for me to start building my contour very lightly, which I love.  Other bronzer brushes (I'm looking at you, EcoTools) pick up way too much pigment and require a lot more blending.  Also, because the head is smaller, it's easier to concentrate the colour where you want it.  I've also used this with powder bronzers and it's equally effective.
  2. Powder: I have no idea why I'm so anti-powder, given my oily skin, but I just hate putting it on.  I have such faith in Goss's rolling method, but I honestly have never even attempted it on myself.  However, if I want a fine dusting of silicone powder, Guerlain meteorites or even a powder foundation to finish off, the 187 is a godsend.
  3. Highlight: I use this with YSL Touche Eclat for a very natural dewiness.  The lightness of Touche Eclat's reflecting property and the sparseness of the brush make for an extremely light radiance.  Just put a few clicks on the back of your hand and stipple onto the tops of cheekbones, shoulders, and chin.  VoilĂ !
Any other 187 uses, lovelies?

8 comments:

  1. I really like mac brushes! Sadly I don't have one of my own so I steal my mother ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to use this for foundation sometimes.. And sometimes for my powder when I want a very light dusting of powder to set my foundation.. And I sometimes use it after I've applied my foundation just to make sure everything is well blended into my skin! It's a great brush to own.. I use the smaller version (188) for my cream blushes and it works wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I haven't got the 188, but I recently got the 130 -- I actually like that one for foundation, but I agree that the 187 is the BEST for a light dusting of powder! Way better than a traditional powder brush.

      Delete
  3. don't have mac one but i do use something that looks like it. ;)
    i only use it with my highly pigmented blushes to apply colors more naturally, but i'd love to try it with liquid foundation and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely great for that. If you figure out the foundation thing, let me know LOL

      Delete
  4. I've never thought of buffing in Touche Eclat with a brush - what a fab idea!

    ReplyDelete