Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sunday Detox

Sundays are for brunches, communal hangovers, and catching up on last week's TV.  

Mine are, anyway. After brunch, I usually head home for my TV marathon, which I think is the best time for a little beauty pamper.  I can't sit still and watch a TV show unless something keeps me there, so I take this time to paint my nails, marinate in various body products or...do a face mask.



My favourite kind have to be peeling/cleansing/extracting/brightening masks.  There's just something incredibly satisfying about taking off the last vestiges of a deep cleansing mask to reveal new, glowing skin.  I usually like clay masks (as evidenced by two out of three here), with the occasional glycolic or enzyme peek mask to prep my skin if it's feeling really clogged.  Those of you with sensitive skin, I advise against following a peeling mask with a clay one -- it can really tear up your skin.

That little round pot labelled Indian Healing Clay is a decant of the strongest mask I've ever used.  When my skin is troubled, I mix it with a little apple cider vinegar or water for an all-over mask or an insanely strong spot treatment.  I apply it with an old foundation brush and sit until I feel like it's completely dried.  Again, for sensitive skin, mix with water and apply a very thin layer.  You can actually feel the pulling sensation on your skin, and it leaves me red for a while, so I only use this at night.  Once you remove it and your skin calms down, it leaves the most beautiful matte finish.

Queen Helene's Mint Julep Masque has a ridiculously high rating on Make Up Alley, as it should. If you're too lazy to mix up the Indian Healing Clay (as I often am), consider this a pre-mixed version.  It's not quite as strong as the other one, but most people will still benefit from its detox power.  Sometimes I'll even smooth a thin layer over my face in the morning and wash it off right away, like a cleanser.  This takes about 20 minutes to dry.

To give my skin a break from the pore-vacuuming action, I turn to Caudalie's Vinoperfect Enzymatic Peeling Masque.  I turn to this when I have more of a general complexion problem, versus actual breakouts.  It comes out as a white paste that dries a little chalky, but it's the nicest 5-minute boost for your skin.  In fact, it's what I have on my skin at this very moment.  This is the priciest of the three, but I think that's fairly normal for an enzyme treatment.  This gives less of a flat, matte finish than the other two and leaves your skin radiant.

To remove all my masks, I run a muslin cloth under running lukewarm water and gently buff it off in a broad sweeping motion.  Since these are cleansing masks, try not to buff them off in small circles or it could take off more skin than you're able to handle.

What's your Sunday routine?

12 comments:

  1. I started using the Caudalie Vinoperfect serum and day fluid. Now I need to look into that mask because you make it sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love the day fluid! I want to try the serum but its insanely expensive here.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I really want to try the Queen Helene Mask now! Can you get that in stores anywhere in Toronto?

    Also, have you ever tried a yogurt honey mask? It works great for me to brighten my skin =]

    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine from a store on Bay and Dundas -- it's a hair and beauty supply store. I think I've also seen them in Loblaws, but that might be a generic version (which will probably be just as good).

      I love DIY masks! I did a post about yoghurt ones here: http://procrastinatingpretty.blogspot.com/2011/08/do-you-believe-in-miracles-i-dont.html

      Delete
    2. You can also find them at Sally's Beauty saw them back in stock recently~

      Delete
    3. Is there a sally's beauty in Toronto??

      Delete
    4. According to their website, there's one on St Clair Ave. Rasilia might know more though!

      Delete
  3. i have ordered th queen helen mask.ppl say it is great fro pimple treatment..is this indian clay a brand?

    http://DesimomPakistan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...Not sure of the brand exactly, but the full bottle reads Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. I got it from Whole Foods.

      And the Queen Helene mask is great for spot treatment. Let me know how that works out for you!

      Delete
    2. Aztec indian clay.yes i have read abt it and ppl say it is better than quene helen like you said.
      i have joined your blog.visit my blog and koin if u like ^_^

      http://desimompakistan.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  4. I should look into peels...

    Anyway, for me, I do extractions, scrub, nose pack to remove gunk, and then use Queen Helene on my trouble areas. I seal it all in with a face mask.

    Unfortunately for me I haven't been able to do this in awhile >_< and my skin really hates me for it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed you do all that! I bet your skin LOVES you for it when you get around to it =P I know mine would if I bothered haha!

      Delete