evening skincare routine, as well as some of the cleansing masks I use. I also talked about last year's skincare favourites, and a few of them have made the jump into 2013.
The way I go about skincare is almost completely based on instinct. That is, I wake up and I choose my cleanser, serum, face oil and moisturiser based on how it feels, the things I've been putting into my body, and just plain old guessing.
I realize that is the most unhelpful and unclear advice I can give, but I do think that everyone should get to know their skin. As a person with problem skin, I tried a number of treatments to help my skin clear up. I probably tried too many things too quickly, but having a skin issue helped me familiarize myself with my skin's habits.
A few things I've learned about my skin...
- My skin hates benzoyl peroxide and acetyl-salicylic acid. It was fantastic having cystic acne, because both those things are pretty prominent in acne treatments. I talk about the acne treatments I can use here.
- My skin loves to be exfoliated in times of crisis. The Clarisonic is one of the things that helped me through The Great Acne Crisis of '10. That said, it's been a couple of years and I don't use my Clarisonic nearly as often anymore. I find a gentler exfoliation to be more helpful -- I use a muslin cloth, an enzyme exfoliant or a glycolic acid treatment.
- Despite having extremely oily skin, my skin loves to be moisturised, especially with oils. I'll talk more about my moisturising masks later, but here's how it goes: I'll use a peel then cover it with an insanely thick layer of moisturiser and face oil.
- I love serums. My moisturisers feel lost and lonely without then.
- My lips do not respond well to central heating. Here's what I use to keep them happy.
To check out what I'm using, click 'Watch on YouTube' for a full product line-up. Hope you don't mind that I ramble!