Pages

  • About
  • The Edit
  • The Review
  • The Video
  • Contact/PR

Current Makeup Brush Rotation

Despite the number of brush posts I've put out over the years, I'm only just starting to get over the obsession.  I remember the days when I used to fantasize about owning every single MAC brush in existence, plotting ways to hunt down discontinued versions on eBay, endlessly imagining the varied ways I could store them and the exact purpose of each.  Come on, beauty geeks, we've all been there. Haven't we?

In 2013, I broke out of the MAC cocoon and started exploring some new brushes -- here are my favourites; some old, some new, all beautiful.

I finally got around to using the Beauty Blender on myself. I'm in love.  It's perfect for those no-makeup makeup days.  For days that I need more help, I switch between Sephora #45 Mineral Powder Brush and the Real Techniques Buffing Brush.  They're pretty similar, but the Buffing Brush has a slightly flatter top.  I use all three tools to blend in foundation and concealer -- the lazy side of me doesn't feel its necessary to dirty twice as many tools.

At IMATS 2013, I scooped up the vermillion-handled Hakuhodo S103 -- is there anything this brush can't do?  It's the softest goat hair brush I've ever felt, and I've started using powder just so I have an excuse to use it.  My other Hakuhodo purchase was the teeniest, tiniest push liner brush, the J521.  According to the site, the bristles measure 2.3 mm. Instant lashes.

For eyes I've been favouring full, fluffy brushes -- as always, a MAC 217 will find its way into my weekly brush washing, but a few friends have regularly joined the mix.  Paula Dorf Sheer Crease brush is fantastically tapered and pushes colour ever-so-gently into your eye sockets.  To finish a look (or on particularly lazy days when you want that really soft, hazy wash of colour around your eyes), Edward Bess Luxury Eye Brush is my go-to.  The handle is so perfectly weighted, something I never knew would be important to me. 

Most prized possession?  A Suqqu cheek brush.  Read about that here.
My other most prized possession?  A Paula Dorf Smokie Lid brush.  Yes, it exists.  There's a story for another day.

10 comments :

  1. I swear by the beauty blender (or the RT dupe) and LOVE the Real Techniques buffing brush as well. I rarely apply foundation with a brush but use it for blending and buffing mineral powders, blushes, bronzers etc. The Suqqu brushes sound amazing, I've heard nothing but raves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been quite lazy and using fingers instead of brushes-- but I've also been breaking out a bit, so I find bristles are a lot gentler than the pressure my fingers can exert. Can you reco a mineral foundation? I'm interested but the colour always seems off.

      Delete
  2. When I can eventually invest in Hakuhodo, I need you by my side...okay?? Anyway, love this ode to brushes. On a side note, where is the bee container from? So cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely -- I'll be there! It's an old candle holder, one of my FAVOURITE candles of all time from Indigo. I believe it was a honey candle from Paddywax, but I haven't been able to find it since.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to try hakuhodo brushes. Lately my makeup routine is so simplified I only use a MAC 138 for powder, Shu Uemura cheek brush for blush, and maybe a 217 if I use eyeshadow! Glad to see you're still keeping up with the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a sudden urge to blog and I'm hoping it stays with me for a while! My routine is quite simple nowadays as well, that might be part of the reason I haven't been on track with the blogging as of late. How's the Shu cheek brush? Is it the ponyhair one?

      Delete
  4. Riiight this is a dangerous post. You're showing me some brushes I've been curious about for a while (Hakuhodo, Suqqu, and Paula Dorf)! I like MAC brushes the way they were made, but I really don't think they're the same anymore (particularly the eye brushes). In general they're still good for the various brushes they carry, but since my makeup needs are relatively simple, I can most probably look somewhere else ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love some of the unusual shapes of MAC brushes (mainly because I love weird things, not so much because I need them for their specific brush capabilities), but I do think Paula Dorf does a better quality of brush, especially if you're thinking of buying new MAC brushes.

      Come to the dark side, Sunny. We have blue squirrel.

      Delete
  5. I want that Suqqu cheek brush! SOMEDAY haha. I love the Sephora Mineral Brush too-I use it every time I use mineral foundation which is often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is AMAZING. You're a blush fiend, you need one! The Sephora Mineral brush is honestly one of my favourite ways to apply foundation, regardless of formula. It's even great for days I feel lazy and just dot my face with concealer to be blended in.

      Delete

Design by | SweetElectric