Pages

  • About
  • The Edit
  • The Review
  • The Video
  • Contact/PR

Recipe: How to make Eggs Benedict









Is it appropriate to publicly declare my love for Hollandaise sauce?  Never mind the fact that breakfast is my favourite meal, but there is a special place in my heart for spices, lemon and butter, and until a few years ago, I didn't know that there was a heaven-sent amalgamation of the three.

Eggs Benedict is one of my favourite breakfasts -- it's the most delicious indulgence you can experience, from the richness of the dish itself to the inevitable post-brunch coma you'll experience. If you plan to Eggs Benny, plan for an entire morning/early afternoon.  The experience takes that long.

My friend Laura who you saw in my Holiday Party Tutorial is a food whisperer and she makes the most delicious everything -- literally from raspberry jam to the perfect pie crust to all the random in-betweens.  I've been nudging her to do a food blog, but that remains to be seen.

Check out the video for technique, and everything else you need to know is below! I'll be sharing a healthier breakfast later in the week -- gotta keep those resolutions intact.


INGREDIENTS 

1 cup | butter
1 tsp | salt/pepper/cayenne
1 tbsp | lemon juice
2 egg yolks
2 English muffins
4 pieces of peameal bacon

4 eggs

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Clarify your butter -- it's tempting, but don't stir!
2. Whisk your egg yolks over a pot of lightly steaming water (not too hot, or they'll scramble!)
3. Add a tablespoon of water if you need to help it froth up to a pale yellow colour
4. Take the yolk off the heat and slowly drizzle in the butter in a consistent stream
5. Whisk in lemon to taste
6. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to taste (not shown in video)
7. Poach your eggs (bring water to a rolling boil, and drop your eggs in for 4 minutes)
8. Fry peameal bacon
9. Toast your English muffins!
10. Build your Eggs Benedict!

9 comments :

  1. Lovely video, girl! You're making me very VERY hungry now! I am the type that only goes sweet for breakfast, but still: this looks temping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom prefers sweet breakfasts as well! Her current favourite is chia pudding :-)

      Delete
  2. 1 cup butter...-faints-
    I'll admit that I've never tried hollandaise sauce, mostly because this entire time I thought it was mayo based and I hate mayo.
    But then again, I'm also terrified of butter indulgence. THAT SLICED YOLK MOMENT THO *-* #foodp0rn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So hollandaise is basically Mayo, but instead of being made with oil, it's made with butter, i.e. 9000 times better :-)

      God that yolk moment killed me. I replay it in my dreams.

      Delete
  3. Eggs benedict is one of my favorite things. Ever. Ok, maybe it's the hollandaise sauce, because I could eat that by the bucket loads lolol!!! I had a crab cake benedict this weekend and it was delicious, but I'll always stand by the classic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...pure brilliance. I need to attempt immediately. Also, hollandaise is SO BOMB. I could definitely eat it directly on its own.

      Delete
  4. Your video is adorable! An overpriced, unimpressive eggs benny at a local cafe made me re-try making eggs benedict again after I failed miserably and wasted a bunch of butter years ago. It went really well and now I can never pay $15 for eggs benny again. I use the Alton Brown method, which I hear takes a little longer than double-boiler but is apparently a little more idiot-proof :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of the Alton brown method! Looking it up immediately!

      Delete
  5. Yumm! I tried this once.. but I couldn't poach the eggs without properly.. so I gave up :') maybe I should try again? Hm? :)

    ReplyDelete

Design by | SweetElectric